How to Start Page Generation From Scratch?
Create Project From Scratch
When you first install the MPG WordPress plugin, you will be presented with a choice of creating your first project From Scratch or several available templates. Most users would select the From Scratch option when their data set is in CSV, Excel, or Google Sheets. First, from the MPG plugin dashboard, under Create New+ tab, click on the From Scratch option.
Set up a template
- Set a Project name - name your template so it’s easy for you to identify what content you are trying to generate. Your project name won’t be visible anywhere else.
- Select the entity type - select the type of content for your template. MPG supports all entity types in your WordPress installation, including posts and pages, but it also supports any custom entity created by any other WordPress plugins. Many plugins create custom entities for portfolios, landing pages, e-commerce shop pages, etc. You can generate any of those with MPG.
- Select the template page or entity you wish to use as a template for the generated content. MPG will replace any shortcodes accessing the site through the generated URL to your source file.
- Optional: Add the template URL to robots.txt exclusion. It’s highly recommended to exclude the template page from indexing by search engines as it contains shortcodes. All other generated pages will remain visible.
- Hit Save Changes, then the Source tab will now appear underneath.
Load Source Spreadsheet
There are two options for uploading your source file.
Option 1 – Direct link.
- Load any existing Google Sheet or .csv file available online. Make sure the file has public access enabled.
- 💳 PRO: Select periodicity if you want to update the Source from the provided URL automatically periodically.
- 💳 PRO: Set the date and time when MPG should first attempt to fetch your file.
💳 PRO: MPG can send a notification each time it fetches your dataset. It can notify you of any error or every time it fetches.
💳 PRO: Specify the email address we shall use to notify you if opted in.
- Press Fetch and use.
Option 2 – Upload file
Hit the Browse tab and select an existing .xlsx, .csv, or .ods file from your computer containing your source data.
For detailed information on how to create the perfect source file, please watch this short video:
📝 Note: This is available only after you have clicked the Fetch and use button.
Quickly glance at the Data preview. Click the “ Preview” button to view all the data collected from your spreadsheet.
In this step, we will set up the format for the permalinks of our generated pages (i.e. URLs format).
- The field URL Format Template is used to form your permalinks. Add at least one shortcode from the “Insert shortcode” dropdown list. Feel free to separate shortcodes with a slash, dash, underscore, or custom text.
- Select default separator - when generating URLs, the default separator will replace unsupported characters and spaces in your shortcodes.
- Look at the URL preview to ensure the formed URL is in the desired format.
- Save changes. Click on the “URL preview” link to check a sample of newly generated pages. Each row will generate its URL based on the shortcodes specified.